The Microsoft Corporation is widely known for its support of gifted students specializing in technology and engineering. The company provides a range of technical scholarships, including Minority Scholarships, General Scholarships, Scholarships for Students with Disabilities and Women's Scholarships to undergraduate students who are passionate about technology and want to make a brilliant career in the field of software industry. The company screens the candidates upon their eligibility, financial need, academic achievement, quality of the application and leadership skills.
To qualify for the scholarship the applicants should be full-time students enrolled in an accredited 4-year university or college located in the United States, Mexico or Canada, pursuing a Bachelor's degree. In addition, the applicants must demonstrate outstanding knowledge and skills in the fields of computer engineering, computer science or in any technical discipline like electrical engineering, physics or math related to computer science. To be eligible for the scholarship applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 or 4.0 on a scale of 5.0.
Applicants from minority groups must belong to Native American, African-American or Hispanic underrepresented groups.
The candidates are required to apply for a summer internship and if the applicant is selected, he/she will have the opportunity to complete the salaried internship at Microsoft Corporation in Redmond, Washington for 12 weeks or more.
Microsoft awards a full or partial scholarship for an academic year. The financial aid can be used to cover the tuition cost only but not other costs associated with college education, such as room and board, books and other expenses. The scholarship funds will be transferred to the designated school by Microsoft which cannot be sent to other institutions.
In addition to submitting the applications form the applicants should provide the following documents:
1. Applicant's resume with the applicant's e-mail address, phone number and permanent address, school phone number and address, academic major description, student ID number and the expected graduation date.
2. An essay one total page long to answer the following questions: How the applicant can demonstrate his/her passion for technology.
Describe the most complicated technical problem the applicant tackled, how he or she solved the problem, what methods were used to reach the outcome. Describe a situation where the applicant takes initiative to resolve the problem.
3. What are the sources of funding his/her current college education.
4. A letter of recommendation from the applicant's academic instructor or faculty member.
5. A total one page application providing the following information: Applicant's estimated tuition cost (except books or room and board) for the academic year.
Whether the applicant's tuition cost in state, international, out of state or private.
6. A copy of the Microsoft Summer Internship Confirmation page, which can be obtained during online application process. The applicants who had already applied for the internship, must mention it below the essay answers.
Microsoft helps promising technology enthusiasts in a number of ways. Apart from providing scholarships the company also offers Microsoft Store Coupon Codes that help students save on Microsoft products. Saving on computer software is essential for students specializing in computer science. By using coupons undergraduates can get quality products at prices their budget can afford.